Declaring Majors and Minors

Declaring a Major

A student declares a major upon entrance to the college by filling out the “Academic Interest” section on the admission application. If students wish to change their majors, they must complete a Change of Major form in Student Records and Financial Services Center. It is the student’s responsibly to make sure the record reflects their correct major, concentration or minor data.

It is extremely important that students declare the correct major, because academic advisors are assigned based on the major on file with the Student Records and Financial Services Center.

Dual Majors

Students who wish to expand their educational opportunities may decide to declare a dual major. The decision may be based on career goals or planned graduate studies. Before a student declares a dual major, it is important to meet with the appropriate academic departments for advisement. Some dual major combinations can be completed within the minimum 120 credit hour degree requirement, but in some cases additional course work may be required. In order to declare a dual major, the student must complete the appropriate dual major request form and get the signature of each department chairperson and the appropriate associate dean.


Minors are another option available to students to explore an area of interest.  Minors generally have fewer requirements than a major - usually 5 to 8 courses.  Some minors are open to all students, while others may be restricted to students in specific majors. The requirements for each minor are outlined in the appropriate departmental sections.  The complete list of minors provides links to each minor page.  To declare a minor, students must complete the appropriate minor request form that must be signed by the department chair and the appropriate associate dean.