The Justice Minor Requirements
Students are required to complete a total of 16 credit hours, including 20 hours of service learning.
- Foundation course: PHI 240 — offered every year by the Department of Philosophy.
- Four three-credit hour justice courses from a list of pre-approved elective courses (see below).
- A one-credit hour independent research project including a paper of around 15 pages written in collaboration with a professor who teaches within the Justice Minor Program.
- 20 hours of a community-based learning experience completing over the course of the minor program.
|CLS 300||Roman Law and Society||3|
|ENG 319||Special Topics in American Literature||3|
|HIS 230||The Holocaust in Historical Perspective||3|
|HIS 347||The History of Marxism||3|
|MGT 430||Sustainability and Supply Chains||3|
|PHI 261||Philosophy of Law||3|
|PHI 267||Catholic Social Thought||3|
|PHI 271||Philosophy of Human Rights||3|
|PHI 272||Gender and Philosophy||3|
|PHI 274||Social and Political Philosophy||3|
|PSC 241||Human Rights and Globalization||3|
|PSC 244||War: Causes and Consequences||3|
|RST 234||Christians (En) Countering Injustice||3|
|RST 341||Catholic Social Ethics: Theological Perspectives||3|
|SOC 273||Social Movements and Social Change||3|
LEARNING GOALS AND OBJECTIVES
Student Learning Goal 1
Students will demonstrate analysis of and reflection upon concerns of justice.
Objective A: Show competence and expertise in some concerns of justice.
Objective B: Demonstrate knowledge of the relevant theories of justice and the ability to critically analyze and reflect on these theories.
- Objective C: Understand and reflect on the experience of some concerns of justice.
Student Learning Goal 2
Students will be able to thoughtfully apply moral principles to cultivate their characters and to work towards realizing a more just world.
- Objective A: Recognize and analyze some contemporary concerns where justice is at stake (such as environmental racism, or the abortion debate) and propose thoughtful solutions or approaches to these issues.
- Objective B: Engage on a personal level some contemporary concerns where justice is at stake.