MS in Business Analytics (MS)
Program Director: James C. Goldstein, PhD
The master of science in business analytics at Canisius University prepares highly competent professionals to lead in the growing field of analytics. Through courses offering interdisciplinary approaches to business and data analysis, students obtain a graduate-level education that prepares them to fill critical roles in regional organizations. We develop graduates who solve problems and identify opportunities derived from data and shaped by keen business insights. In addition to data analytics, the program also draws on courses in accounting, economics, management, marketing, finance and computer science.
Students in the program benefit from our connections with business partners in Western New York. The region offers extensive opportunities for employment with both small and large companies. The need for professionals with the skills developed in this program is high, as confirmed by a market analysis and an advisory group representing key employer stakeholders, and our graduates are well positioned to succeed in these roles.
Graduate Business Leadership and Professional Development Program
In addition to a master’s degree from the Wehle School of Business, students also will earn a certificate and digital badge in leadership and professional development. This unique program offers students personal and professional development experiences to evaluate their competencies, as well as personalized coaching to define their personal brand and chart a career path.
The LPD program consists of three courses: My Personal Brand, My Leadership Plan and My Path Forward. These are not academic in the traditional sense as there are no textbooks, exams or weekly class meetings. Students will earn one academic credit for the certificate. The LPD has a significant impact on students both during their studies and after graduation, whether a young professional or an emerging executive. Completion of the LPD is a requirement for degree completion and conferral.
Foundation Course Help Make Your Program Yours
This program features foundation courses that are designed to work with your level of education and experience, so whether you’re completely new to the field or a seasoned pro, this program is designed to work for you.
- Foundation courses get you up to speed. If you’re a new grad or a career changer with little or no experience in the field, you can develop the skills and knowledge that you need for long-term success right at the beginning of your program.
- Foundation courses can be waived with relevant experience at the discretion of the program director. If you’ve mastered the basics and are looking to deepen your knowledge and hone your skills even further, you can get right into the material – and get to degree completion faster.
|Foundation Courses (can be waived at the program director's discretion)
|Statistics for Managers with Excel
|Principles of Management
|Business Systems and Analytics
|Business Analytics, Data Visualization & Modeling
|Strategic Performance Analytics
|Business Analytics & Forecasting
|Introduction to Programming
and Introduction to Programming Lab
|Data Structures and Algorithms
and Data Structures and Algorithms Lab
|Data Stewardship: Preparation, Exploration and Handling of Big Data
|My Leadership and Brand
|My Path Forward
|Students must complete an internship or applied project
|Business Analytics Applied Project / Internship
|Select one of the following courses:
|Marketing Data Analytics
|Digital Marketing Strategies
|Global Logistics and Transportation
|Global Supply Chain Management
Learning Goals and Objectives
We will focus on developing student capabilities in four crucial areas:
Quantitative and decision support:
- Analyze, interpret, and communicate information for effective decision support in both written and oral form.
- Understand business processes and related risks in the context of organizational objectives.
- Use at least one general programming language.
- Understand and apply a knowledge of databases.
Ethical data stewardship:
- Maintain awareness of the ethical and moral issues that arise in work with large data sets and the required steps to protect rights and privacy of individuals.
Career-ready professionalism and leadership:
- Practice and assess their leadership capacity to positively influence others, collaborate on teams and achieve organizational goals.
- Apply enterprise risk management concepts.
- Identify critical data and analyze and communicate information in an appropriate format to the decision maker.